UK Waste Strategy
Used AHPs are some of the few remaining household waste items that go straight to landfill or incineration facilities. They account for 4% - 7%1 of kerbside collected municipal waste.
Knowaste offers a recycling opportunity to help businesses and local authorities divert waste from landfill and meet their recycling targets:
All UK governments see diverting waste from landfill and recycling more as a priority;
- England targets 50% recycling by 2020.
- As a strategic aim of Zero Waste Scotland, the Scottish Government is targeting 70% recycling of all wastes and no more than 5% landfill by 2025.
- Northern Ireland is setting a recycling target of 60% by 2020
- The Welsh Assembly Government's 'Towards Zero Waste’ policy framework aims to reduce dependency on landfill and targets 70% of municipal waste being recycled or composted by 2020.
Knowaste joins other waste treatment operators in providing solutions that operate at a higher level of the waste hierarchy and which, along with waste prevention, can benefit the environment.
1. Municipal Solid Waste studies for DEFRA by Resource Futures WRO119, Welsh Assembly Government by WRAP EVA124 and for Zero Waste Scotland by WRAP EVA098 Mar 2010